Wednesday, June 6, 2012

The Waiting Game

Izzy has been full-term for almost two weeks now, meaning that while my due date is still a little over a week away, she's safe to come any day now. I would always prefer today. I've discovered that I go through the five stages of grief on a daily basis-denial that I'm still pregnant, anger/annoyance at the level of discomfort and pain, bargaining or begging God to make today I meet my little girl, depression that he said no, and finally acceptance. While this may seem a bit melodramatic, it's pretty much the truth. I have a long list of things that I would love to have done before she comes but most days I'm not feeling up to making much of a dent in the list. The result is that having more time before she comes does not really mean being more prepared. But I'm trying to remember that she must need these extra days/weeks to be fully prepared for life in the real world. I will be quite happy to hold her in my arms instead of in my belly though!

One of the things that has gotten more difficult is trying to make dinner every day. So I decided to try something different this week. Sunday, Nate and I went grocery shopping. Then we came home and spent about 3-4 hours chopping veggies and meat, making pasta, and packaging everything for the freezer so that we had eight dinners ready to go. I've been quite pleased with the results and with how much easier it is during the week because they only take 15-20 minutes to make and clean-up is minimal. I made three different recipes and split them into smaller portions. Two of them I got from http://www.ringaroundtherosies.net and made a few modifications to: teriyaki crock pot chicken and beef tips for grilling. The night before I just pull it out of the freezer and stick it in the fridge. The beef tips might need a few hours on the counter to fully thaw. The lasagna can be cooked frozen but requires 90 minutes.

Next week I plan to try pot roast, hawaiian chicken and veggies for the grill, slow cooker fajitas and pepperoni pasta bake. Yummy!
         '
Beef Tips for Grilling
4lb round steak, sliced against the grain
4 cups mushrooms, sliced (I didn't do this)
2 red bell peppers
4 minced garlic cloves
2 green bell peppers
1 large white onion
1 zucchini (I added)
1/4 cup of worcestershire
salt/pepper to taste

Split everything  into two containers (I made it into three and it was enough food for Nate and I with some garlic bread). shake it up, seal, label and put in the freezer. Instructions for Container: Add sliced mushrooms (optional) and Grill in a basket ‘til veggies are crisp and meat is done to your liking (about 15-20 minutes)
Serve over hot buttery rice or with bread or grilled corn.



Teriyaki Crock Pot Chicken
Medium – Large bag of carrots
White Onion into Large Chunks
2 large cans pineapple (undrained) (I recommend only using the juice from the second can)
4 Garlic Cloves
4 Chicken Breasts
1/2 cup teriyaki sauce
1/2 cup soy sauce
Follow directions above, and split everything into two gallon freezer bags (definitely enough food for three meals for two people). shake it up, seal, label and put in the freezer. Instructions for Bag: Add 1/4 cup teriyaki and soy sauce (1/8 each) to crock pot, Cook on low 8 hours or high 4 hours (this was a bit long for high). Serve over hot rice.

Spinach Lasagna
1 box lasagna noodles, cooked and cooled
2 jars favorite spaghetti sauce, add a little water or plain tomato sauce to make it go farther
1 tub ricotta cheese (the small size)
1 bag mozarella cheese shredded (3 cups)
Oregano, Basil, Parsley, Salt to taste
Spinach (1 bag of fresh, boiled or sauteed OR 1 can)
Foil tins (I used four of the mini bread loaf ones which are perfect for dinner for two)

Combine cheeses with spinach and herbs, leaving a little mozzarella for topping.  Layer sauce, noodles, cheese mixture until you fill up the pan. top with sauce and a little mozzarella. Cover with foil and write on top to bake at 425 for 45-60 minutes OR 90 minutes if frozen. Freeze. Serve alone or with salad or garlic bread.


No comments:

Post a Comment